Are you a carpenter or you have anything to do with wood? If that’s what you deal with, then you would require a band saw. A band saw is used in joinery and resawing scroll work and is considered to be the most efficient mechanism when it comes to cutting wood into irregular shapes. Besides, it can also be used quite effectively when it comes to ripping or resawing lumber into thin slabs. A band saw has the perfect blade to make the finest and smoothest of cuts. Besides wood, they can be used to cut other items as well, which includes metal.
Given the importance of a band saw, it is imperative that you had one in order to get things done in an easier and smoother way. As the band saw reviews section showed, there are many top rated band saws that enables you doing wood working with very detail specifications as well as features. However, there are certain important points which you need to take into consideration before you go ahead and buy one. In the following section, you will come across a few tips and suggestions which might help you when it comes to buying a band saw.
Buying Guides on Band Saw
Now that you have decided to band saw, consider the following points which will definitely help you select the best one.
- How do you intend to use it: Before you go ahead and buy one, this is one important question which you need to consider? How you are planning to use the band saw? Do you intend to use it for a lot of resawing work? If that’s what your plans are, in that case you should opt for one with higher horsepower and a blade which is wider. Is it scrolling work you are planning to do? In that case horse power won’t make much of a difference; however, what matters is a narrower blade. Your frequency of usage would determine on how much you are supposed to spend on the motor and whether you would require a floor or a bench top model. Once you have settled these issues, you can start your search for a band saw.
- Throat Capacity: Throat capacity is another important aspect which you need to take into consideration. What is throat capacity? Well, it is nothing but the distance between the frame and the blade and it plays a major role in determining the maximum width your saw is capable of cutting. With greater throat capacity, you can expect wider cuts and larger scrolling pieces.
- Floor Model and Bench Top: If you are an amateur woodworker, then bench top models can be the perfect choice for you. These types of band saws are designed in such a manner that they can be rested on bench top or can be bolted. These types of bench tops are portable and compact and are the perfect choice when it comes to scroll cutting which are lighter in nature. If you are a professional woodworker, in that case you should opt for the floor models. When it comes to stability and power, the floor models are much more reliable compared to the bench top ones. These are ideal when it comes to sawing heavy rip and doing decorative works.
- The width of the Blade: When it comes to scroll work, band saws which are configured for narrower blades are popular. However, if you are looking for resawing work, then you must opt for those which are suited for wider blades. The wider blades are capable of faster and accurate cuts even through thicker stocks as they tend to flex less. It would be a good idea to go for the wider blades if you are planning only for scroll cuts. It is quite likely that within the next couple of months you might reconsider the purpose of your use. Make sure you what your purpose is, as mentioned in the first point. “Teeth per Inch”, which is also referred to as TPI. Higher the ratio of TPI, more slowly would the blade cut through, however, it would ensure a clean cut, which makes them ideal when it comes to scroll work. On the other hand, blades with lower PTI are ideal for ripping as they are capable of cutting through more quickly, but they tend to leave more marks. It won’t be a clean cut by any means.
- Know you Accessories: Different types of accessories are available for band saws. When you have made up your mind about the purpose of using the band saw, then you will be able to determine which accessories you are going to need and which are the ones that would be wastage of money for you. When it comes to accessories, it is always a better idea to begin with the most important ones and then gradually keep on adding to the stack as you feel the need. If you go for all the possible accessories available right at the beginning, you might find some of them to be of no use what so ever. This is especially applicable to those who are new with the band saws.
Here are some of the common accessories
- Attachments for Cutting Circles
- Tilting Tables which helps when it comes to beveled cuts
- Rip fences
- Miter Gauges
- Height Extenders when it comes to cutting wood which are thicker in nature.
Why band Saw and not a Jig Saw?
One of the major differences between these two is the fact that a jig saw go through an up and down motion while cutting, and on the other hand the blades of a band saw is capable of cutting in a continuous loop. A Band Saw is considered to be more superior compared to the jigsaw. A jig saw has vibrating motion which doesn’t always give a smooth cut, which is not the case with the band saws.
These are some important aspects which you need to take into consideration before you buy a band saw. As already mentioned, knowing your purpose is very important as it plays a major role when it comes to determining the type of blade and other related aspects.
See more: Top 10 best band saws with reviews