A gun safe is a container to keep firearms or their parts. These are made specifically to prevent unauthorized access to the best air pistol, for protection from thieves and to keep the guns safe during some accident, like flood or fire.
If you want, you can make a gun safe right at your home. You just need some knowledge of how to do it, and a little bit of practice to keep your best air rifle safe.
The miter saw
The trickiest part of this guide is using the miter saw. Let us first see about the miter saw.
- You should choose the right miter saw for your work. The sole purpose of using a miter saw is that it becomes more convenient to shape the materials that are hard to cut through.
- There are varieties of the miter Some are used to chop in the downward direction. Some are more complicated and can do much more than just that. Whichever one you choose, just keep the saw safely.
- Wear the proper apparel before using the miter saw. Enable eye and ear protection otherwise the sawdust can go inside your eyes. Also, the cutting sound is so loud that it can damage your ears as well.
- Do not wear anything that is hanging out of your body. Chances are it might get chopped off and fall in the saw. Even your hair can get caught in between. So be very cautious about your getup.
Making a gun safe
When you are out to making a gun safe, you must know a few things.
- Size: The size of your guns is a primary factor. You need to check the space and dimensions of the cabinet and tally it with the size of the guns.
- Material: You can choose wood, glass or metal. However, with the increased rates of theft and burglary becoming more and more innovative day by day, you should use some material that provides immense protection.
- Fit and finish: Don’t make a gun safe just because you have to keep your guns in it. Gun safes are more than that. They display your taste or finesse and class. So make sure you choose a subtle design.
Steps to making a gun safe at home
Making a gun safe can be a good choice if you are well acquainted with your tools.
Here is the list of things that you need. You can skip some here and there but make sure the steps aren’t omitted.
Things you will need
- Tape measure
- One-inch thick plywood
- Miter saw
- Sanding paper
- Electric screwdriver
- Galvanized steel screws
- Electric drill
- Drill bits
- Wood glue
- ¼ inches thick Plexiglas
- Glass retainer clips
- Wood stain
- Measure and cutting the wood
First of all, decide how big gun safe you need. Then mark the dimensions on the ply. Using the miter saw, carefully cut it. Make sure you follow all the precautions. Cut the side pieces and supports as well. Rub the edges with sand paper so that they don’t hurt someone.
- Assemble all the pieces
Now that you have all the planks ready, just fit them using screws. Use a screw every six inches. Then, add the top and bottom pieces as well. You should have just a door space left.
- Put on gun holders
Now, cut pieces of wood that will hold the guns. One of these will be used as a shelf and the other will be used as a gun holder.
- Put the door on
Now, using the hinges, put the door on. Measure and cut Plexiglass. It should have the same dimensions as the front door. Stick it to the front door using glue, or secure it using screws. Now, attach a latch where the door closes on the safe.
- Further additions
Now you are done with the basic gun safe. You can carve, paint or do anything that you like to add an artistic touch to it. You can also add additional security mechanism to it.
Put a lock, or any other technical gadget.
And that’s how it is done. Just be very careful when handling the miter saw. Otherwise, you might end up hurting yourself.