When it comes to your band saw blades it is very important to keep the edges sharp. Having used them for some time, for obvious reasons, they tend to lose their sharpness. You might find it very difficult to cut through after a couple of uses. Therefore, you need to ensure that you sharpen the blades on a regular basis. In the following section you will be offered a couple of useful tips which would help you understand on how to sharpen the edges of your saw blades.
There are certain safety measures which you need to take into consideration. Here are some of them
- Wear gloves to protect your hand
- Make sure that your eyes are protected
- Make sure to use a dusk mask
- Do not forget to unplug the saw
- Position yourself on a stable surface
Read more safety guides
Steps to Sharpen the Blades
Here are some of the steps which you can use to sharpen the blades
- The backside of the Tip: The first thing which you need to do is to focus on the backside of the tips. You a file or any other sharpening tools to work on the back of the tips. While using the sharpening tool, make sure to use it at a slight backward angle, this would put more pressure on the edges.
- Tip’s Underside: After you are done with the tip’s backside, you need to concentrate on the underside as well. If you plan to use a file, then you would require a round shaped file while you are sharpening the underside of the tip. It is advisable that you start from the left and gradually move to the right of the set. Besides files, you can also use other tools like a Dremel or any other electrical devices. This would make the process faster and you can go about the task in a much more efficient manner.
- The Cutting Area: This is the area which is right below the tip the edges of the gullet. You can use a round file or other sharpening devices in order to go about the job.
- The Gullet: You need to focus on the gullet area as well. You might have some residues on the gullet. You can use some sort of solvent to remove these residues. Make sure that the gullet is kept clean and gum free. This would increase the life of the blade and would ensure smoother cuttings.
The process of sharpening a blade can be time consuming and it requires a lot of patience. You would need to take care of every single part of the blade. If you are using a file, then it can be even more tedious as you would have to individually go through every single blade. It is also very important that you took care of the safety issues. Make sure you have taken adequate measures to protect your hands and eyes.
If you need to know how to choose the right band saw blade, read more at http://mechanicstoolstop.com/choosing-blades-band-saw-tips/